With its ability to catch the light and create the illusion of open space, a glass table can be a beneficial and practical addition to any room. Whether a coffee table in the living room or a dining table in the dining room, you will need to know how to clean a glass table effectively to keep it at its best.
Read on to discover the tips and tricks that you can use to get a sparkling glass table that is free from unsightly streaks.
What you’ll need
- Two microfibre cloths
- Glass cleaner
- White vinegar
- Distilled or filtered water
- Kitchen towel
- Several sheets of unstapled newspaper (optional)
If you want to avoid the use of chemical cleaners in your home, you will find some commercially made natural glass cleaners on the market that are environmentally friendly.
Alternatively, you can make your own by combining two cups of distilled or filtered water, two tablespoons of white vinegar and – if desired – around 10 drops of an essential oil of your choice for fragrance. Pour the ingredients into a spray bottle so it is ready for use whenever you need it.
If using essential oil, remember to vigorously shake the bottle before each use as oil and water will naturally separate.
- Clear the table
- Protect any metal or wooden components: cleaning solutions may cause damage and cannot be avoided during the cleaning process. Protect them by covering them with masking tape.
- Wipe away surface dust & dirt: To avoid damaging the table top, lightly wipe the surface down to remove any small pieces of debris / dirt / dust before going on to clean with liquids.
- Clean the heavy marks first: Identify any points of heavy soiling, such as sticky patches from spilled drinks or water rings, and focus on these first. Spray a small amount of glass cleaner or diluted vinegar directly onto each dirty patch and leave in place for approximately 30 seconds. Use kitchen towels to wipe away the cleaning solution and the dirt. If the first application does not completely remove the dirt, repeat the process or apply some neat vinegar before repeating until the marks are not visible.
- Repeat for the underside: If there are any marks on the underside of the glass table top, repeat the process there. Omit this step if there are no patches of significant soiling.
- Spray glass cleaner: When main marks have been removed use some glass cleaner to spray over the top of the glass table, making sure you apply a sufficient amount to ensure every section of the glass will be treated. You can use hot water alone if the glass is not very dirty.
- Use the microfibre or towel clean: wipe in a circular motion, continuing until the cleaning solution is no longer visible. If the underside of the glass table is not significantly dirty, use the same microfibre cloth to wipe the underside.
- Wipe dry: If any moisture remains on the glass after it has been cleaned, use a dry microfibre cloth to dry it. Move the cloth around as necessary to use a dry portion of it as to wipe the glass, using it to remove the cleaning solution and buff it to a shine. Do the same to the underside of the glass, if necessary.
- Buff with newspaper: To fully remove any remaining streaks, finish up by buffing with some crumpled up newspaper to get that perfect glass shine.
Use an Easy Wipe Clean Solution
Avoid the hassle of having to clean your glass table by using a tablecloth that is wipeable. We specialise in these and have a huge range of beautiful fabrics that we can cut to order to fit your table.